New bid to save W’burg’s Swingin’ Sixties Senior Center

The Brooklyn Paper

North Brooklyn activists hope to buy Williamsburg’s Swingin’ Sixties Senior Center in an attempt keep the under-funded community facility open.

The Conselyea Block Association, which runs the facility, has teamed up Williamsburg-based non-profit housing developer St. Nick’s Alliance in a bid to acquire the building after the city cut funding for both the senior center and a children’s day-care at the site last fall.

“We are looking at how to purchase the buildings and how to support the programs,” said Janice Peterson, a founding member of the Conselyea Block Association and a member of Community Board 1 — which hosts its monthly meetings at Swingin’ Sixties. “There is some hope.”

Peterson said the coalition is currently negotiating with the landlord and is prepared to pay about $4 million for the building, which accommodates up to 110 seniors and 160 pre-schoolers.

Most of that money will be provided by St. Nicks.

“We have the wherewithal to undertake the purchase as well as the acquisition,” said St. Nick’s executive director Michael Rochford. “What we want is for the community to become the owner of the building.”

St. Nick’s is also working with the Conselyea Block Association to draft more precise applications to submit to the Department for the Aging and the Administration for Children’s Service — which last year rejected the association’s requests for funding after both implemented more stringent application processes.

Councilwoman Diana Reyna (D–Williamsbu­rg) won both programs a temporary reprieve after the city nixed their bids, giving them more time to resubmit applications for cash. For now, both are operating under the terms of their previous contracts.

Reach reporter Danielle Furfaro at dfurfaro@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2511. Follow her at twitter.com/DanielleFurfaro.
Updated 10:09 pm, July 9, 2018

diehipster from Blowtorching Brodys says:
I say let's cut to the chase and do the inevitable; knock the building down and make an inner-city, urban, local, sustainable radish farm to keep recently arrived $100,000 liberal art school grads from Wiscossota busy on their Brooklyn playcations. On weekends we can transform it into a flea market/brewery to make crafts and craft ales.

But first we have to blog about it on our "look at me, I'm now a Brooklynite" blogs as if we actually want to help save it because we love Brooklyn so much - then we wait until its been transformed and cheer for YET ANOTHER garden/flea market/craft ale brewery that will be covered by The Brooklyn Paper since nothing else is really happening around Brooklyn except newly arrived Midwestern rawk-star and emaciated lumberjack people re-inventing the wheel on a daily basis.
March 28, 2013, 7:16 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Hmmm. I'm trying to think of which Brooklyn Paper commenters might have ever made a "look at me, I'm a Brooklynite blog." Hmmm.

Ah, that's it. Mr. Hipster, you are the only one who has ever made a blog like that!

If you stare into the abyss too long, it starts to stare back.
March 28, 2013, 8:46 am
diehipster from Blowtorching Brodys says:
Wrong Mike, very very wrong. I made a "look at THEM" site.

Now do you get it?

Good boy, now go enjoy a "bean to cup" latte before your Thursday 11am bike ride.
March 28, 2013, 8:59 am
Will from I am Burg says:
Usually I am sympathetic towards Mr. Hipster's comments after witnessing the kind of behavior that he has described. But in this article, the people and organizations mentioned have a long time record of serving the community and I believe that they have true intentions of saving this facility and not just "look at me" blog intentions. I do hope that they are successful in saving this place that has served the seniors and the young children of this community for over 30 years.
March 28, 2013, 9:19 am
Will from I am Burg says:
March 28, 2013, 9:19 am
Will from I am Burg says:
And as much as these 2 groups want to save this facility, I am sure that there are plenty of developers waiting for them to fail to build what was described in Mr. Hipster's first post. That is why I hope they can save this place.
March 28, 2013, 9:22 am
"Interloper" from Kent Ave says:
Why do you assume that the building will be knocked down and turned into a "inner-city, urban, local, sustainable radish farm"? Do you honestly think hipsters have a problem with a place for senior citizens to socialize or are the reason that this place will potentially close? Do you really think it's the hipsters fault that the organization couldn't get funding? You don't feel that real estate developers might have something to do with it? I'm actually serious and want to know if you actually believe that. Once again you've proven to be an absolute moron.

Also, for your information a typical liberal arts education from a reputable school actually costs something closer to $200k. Minus some academic scholarships that was around what I paid. I've been able to turn it into a great career so it was well worth it. You probably never went to college anyways so I'm not surprised that you didn't know this. And no, a college that has advertisements on the subway doesn't count as a real college...sorry.
March 28, 2013, 3:06 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Interloper, you keep using the "think" word to describe something Mr. Hipster says. Mr. Hipster's attitudes do not stem from thought. The most charitable basis for them is to call everything he believes a feeling.
March 29, 2013, 7:40 am
Diehipster from Blowing Beardos says:
Hey Interloper. Don't hate on ASA. We got those ads on the subway with the flying chick with the big knockers.
March 29, 2013, 9:59 am
Rolf from Greenpoint says:
Stop with the hipster —— babble. St. Nick's has been around since the 70's when landlords were burning buildings down for insurance money. I applaud their effort to actually make a difference that might actually benefit a neighborhood. They have in the past.
March 29, 2013, 10:29 am
Will from I Am Burg says:
Rolf is the only other person to post a comment that makes sense. The article talks about people and agencies that have a long history in the neighborhood and who are trying to find a way to keep this facility open in order to continue serving the seniors and the children. Let's stick with the real story and hope that they are successful.
March 29, 2013, 2:56 pm
you from you says:
"Diehipster from Blowing Beardos"
-this guy really loves the ——.
lmfao