Fire in Ridge Boulevard flat after National Grid workers on premises

Gas supplier awaiting results of Fire Department investigation

On the grid: A fire broke out in this Ridge Boulevard apartment building during National Grid work.
Brooklyn Daily
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

New York’s Bravest snuffed out a blaze in a Ridge Boulevard apartment on Nov. 20 — shortly after workers from gas company National Grid left the flat.

The Fire Department said the fire broke out in the building between 70th and 71st streets at 4:39 pm, and smoke-eaters contained the flames in less than half an hour. No one was hospitalized.

National Grid confirmed that its employees had been working in the basement of the residential complex, and had then gone through the building re-igniting pilot lights in the apartments. The gas supplier said its workers had left the affected apartment shortly before the flare-up.

Fire marshals could not confirm who left the stove on or when, but concluded that the cause of the fire was combustible materials that had been stored inside the stove.

FDNY officials stressed that stoves should not be used as storage.

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at or by calling (718) 260-4507. Follow him at
Updated 11:48 am, January 16, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: