Brrr-ooklyn slammed by another winter storm

Brooklyn Daily
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Photo gallery

MR. FREEZE: Unfazed by cold weather, Gary Atlas, 62 of Brighton Beach, takes his six-mile morning run along the beach in Coney Island.
DOGGONE COLD: Dog walker Ginger Berman leads pooches along Hicks Street in Brooklyn Heights.
GO-PLOW: Trucks tackle the snow Brooklyn Bridge.
AS COLD AS ICE: A woman walks along Brooklyn Bridge in the snow.
FROSTY FROLIC: Park Slope resident Beth VanDusen frolics with her pooches Pony and Pegan.
EARLY RISERS: Crews had to get up before dawn to clear the grounds of PS 230 in Kensington.
IT’S THE LAW: Mayor DeBlasio did his duty as a homeowner, clearing the sidewalk in front of his Park Slope house on Wednesday morning.
TOWN AND COUNTRY: Bay Ridge resident Jeremy Fox went cross-country skiing in Prospect Park.

The season’s latest winter storm was a royal pain for the Borough of Kings this week, dumping more than 10 inches of snow and driving temperatures down to single digits.

When Winter Storm Hercules dumped more than a foot of snow on Brooklyn two weeks ago, the drudgery of clearing streets and the bitterness of the cold were eased by the sweet relief of school cancellations and weekday sledding.

But there was no such redemption for Hercules’s successor — dubbed Winter Storm Janus by the Weatther Channel — when it struck Brooklyn Tuesday morning and, despite having almost identical conditions to 2014’s first storm, city officials still demanded kids show up for school through nearly a foot of snow.

“My son had to wait 15 minutes in the cold for the bus — which was late. I had to clean the driveway and the car, which took a half hour, and it would have been much easier if it was canceled,” said Marine Park mother of three, Abigail Fastag.

The city did hedge the decision with a caveat — that parents “use their own judgement,” in deciding whether or not to send their children out into the storm — although, for many parents, it didn’t seem right to keep their kids out of class, while others went to school.

“You can’t keep them out of school while others are attending,” said Fastag. “It pressures you to follow along.”

Tuesday’s thick snowfall and frigid temperatures, which hit 13 degrees during the day and plummeted to an abysmal 7 degrees Wednesday morning. The nasty weather also caused havoc for commuters Tuesday night.

Abi Hassen had just hopped off a J train at the Flushing Avenue station near Woodhull Hospital shortly after 6 pm Tuesday, when he headed over to the nearby B-15 bus stop at Broadway and Marcus-Garvey Boulevard, expecting a ride south into Bedford-Stuyvesant.

However, Hassen and dozens of other would-be straphangers were left hanging — no pun intended — as a string of B-15 busses stopped just long enough to unload their passengers, before switching on their “No Service” lights, and driving off empty into the blizzard — during rush hour.

“I saw at least eight busses go by,” said Hassen. “At first it was kind of funny, then it was just ridiculous. They just kept coming, and then going out of service.”

Eventually, the miserable crowd awaiting a ride grew unruly, and started hurling snowballs and insults at the fleeing buses.

“It was mostly a lot of yelling and frustration,” Hassen recounted. “But there were a few snowballs thrown.”

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority said the buses should have been running normally, and plans to investigate.

“B15 bus service was never suspended during the storm,” said MTA spokesperson Judie Glave. “We’re are going to be looking into the matter further.”

Meanwhile, in southern Brooklyn, people with homes on side streets spent the day stewing over their lack of plowing, salt, and sand coverage, while the main streets got so much attention, they looked like the “Macy’s parking lot,” according to Sheepshead Bay resident Rob Hagen.

“Crawford Avenue is a disaster,” said Hagen, who owns a home there between Ocean Parkway and E. Seventh Street.

In Marine Park, the side-street coverage wasn’t much better, and the neighborhood’s one-way streets were still covered with snow more than twelve hours after the final flake had fallen.

“I had assumed they would have it plowed by the afternoon,” said Fastag, who lives on E. 32nd between Quentin Road and Avenue P. “The mayor didn’t consider this important enough to plow.”

Reach reporter Colin Mixson at or by calling (718) 260-4514.
Updated 11:48 am, January 16, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: