►Video

FDNY says discarded cigarette caused massive fire that devastated Brighton Beach Boardwalk

Closed: The two-alarm fire did extensive damage to Tatiana Restaurant on April 14.
Brooklyn Paper

A massive fire ravaged the Brighton Beach Boardwalk along with an iconic local restaurant on Sunday, according to the Fire Department.

More than 100 firefighters responded to the two-alarm blaze, which began April 14 at around 9:45 p.m. near Brighton Sixth Street, according to the department.

The fire started under the Boardwalk, before consuming the exterior of Tatiana restaurant — located along the Boardwalk at 3152 Brighton Sixth St.

The FDNY took to Twitter to confirm that the cause of the fire was accidental.

“Per #FDNY Fire Marshals: Cause of yesterday’s 2-alarm fire, 3152 Brighton 6 St was accidental, carelessly discarded cigarette under boardwalk,” the FDNY said in a Monday afternoon tweet.

One firefighter suffered minor injuries, but refused medical treatment, according to a department spokesperson.

Reach reporter Aidan Graham at agraham@schnepsmedia.com or by calling (718) 260–4577.
Updated 4:38 pm, April 17, 2019

Local patriot from Brooklyn says:
I am guessing either a drunken Russian ora Russian spy trying out a new way to create mischief because when hacking elections are not enough . . . .
April 15, 1:07 pm
Alexandr Ostrov-Cortez from Red Square says:
Rachel Maddow and Don Lemon will be trying to pin this on the Russians, their gullible followers will be tuned in nightly!
April 15, 2:29 pm
Alexandr Ostrov-Cortez from Red Square says:
My toxic masculinity causes me so much rage that when a women of color is in a position of power, I have to try to attack her character.
April 15, 3:54 pm
Alek Ostrov-Cortez from Red Square says:
So a ‘woman of color’ is beyond criticism? And who are you talking about AOC or Don Lemon? Neither of them display any ‘character’ or integrity
April 15, 3:58 pm
Alexandr Ostrov-Cortez from Red Square says:
I will continue my attacks as I double down with my bigotry & misogyny. I'm a sad boy.
April 15, 4:56 pm
Blanquita Chiquita-Rodriguez-Santa Tomas from Ciudad Juarez says:
Ah the fascists love calling people bigots when they have nothing intellectual to contribute. People are taking notice.
April 15, 6:12 pm
Cher from malibu says:
Yo, don’t be dumping your illegal aliens near my crib, we gotta get our freaks off the street before we hand over any more tamales, yo, representing LA Sanctuary City, peace out! Crenshaw mofos!
April 15, 6:16 pm
Blanquita Chiquita-Rodriguez-Santa Tomas from Ciudad Juarez says:
I also suffer from toxic masculinity as well as racism towards Latinos. That's why I chose to post a comment with blatant racist overtones. That shows you the caliber of life I have. I'm a grown white male trying to disparage Latina women on the internet, let that sink in. Be Best!
April 15, 7:53 pm
Joe from Greenpoint says:
Agree with us and get in line or you are a rascist or Russian spy or... something. Yes, people are beginning to smell the SJW fascism.
April 16, 8:48 am
Joe from Greenpoint says:
If I had half a brain I might be able to post a coherent comment for once.
April 16, 9:21 am
V Putin from Red Square says:
I adore how a drunk idiot setting the boardwalk on fire in the Russian oblast of Brighton Beach took two comments before a bunch of useful idiots hijacked the comment section to support my American President. Good job comrades.
April 16, 1:59 pm
V Putin from Red Square says:
I'm an unusefull drunk idiot.
April 16, 2:05 pm
Anna from Brighton says:
In mother russia you dont set fire, fire set you!
April 16, 2:35 pm
LM from Sheepshead Bay says:
Jeez, this comments section is one giant dumpster fire.
April 16, 4:47 pm
J from Bk says:
Why is it that on the heading of the article it says discarded cig, causes the fire but at the end of the article they write they are trying to determine the cause of the fire?
April 16, 8 pm
Jerkov says:
Ooh a soyboy using the term toxic masculinity. How original. Is that what you learned in college? Glad my tax dollars could help fund your skillful education. Bet you are the pride of your family wkth all of your accomplishments.
April 16, 8:59 pm
Occasional. Cortex says:
Yes i have so much power. No brain to use it.
April 16, 9:02 pm
Jerkov says:
I wish I has education, but me not fit to be man.
April 16, 10:04 pm
Jerkov says:
For now I will stay powerless as a pegging boy.
April 16, 10:06 pm
Jerkov says:
For now I will stay powerless as a pegging boy.
April 17, 7:09 am
Anonymous says:
Hey BP - I thought you were going to discontinue comments. After looking at what is posted here, why did you have second thoughts?
April 17, 10:38 am
Jerkov says:
For now I will stay powerless as a pegging boy.
April 17, 11:12 am
Mr. Pulitzer says:
The troll works at the paper and restored the comments section.
April 17, 7:27 pm

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms: