Dump truck driver fatally strikes man in Coney Island: NYPD

Gone too soon: A dump truck driver struck and killed a 58-year-old man crossing West 21st Street in Coney Island at around 9:45 a.m. on May 11.
Brooklyn Paper

A dump truck driver struck and killed a 58-year-old man while he was crossing W. 21st Street in Coney Island on Saturday.

The May 11 incident occurred at Mermaid Avenue shortly after 9:45 a.m., when the driver — who was traveling down 21st Street from Neptune Avenue toward Surf Avenue in the 2018 Kenworth truck — struck the man as he attempted to cross W. 21st Street in the marked crosswalk, cops said.

Police did not immediately respond to an inquiry about which direction the man was crossing the street.

Officers found the man lying on the roadway unconscious and unresponsive, with trauma to his body, police said, adding that paramedics transported the 58-year-old to NYU Langone Hospital–Brooklyn, where doctors pronounced him dead.

There were no arrests, and the NYPD’s Collision Investigation Squad is investigating the incident, police said, adding that they have not yet notified the victim’s family.

Reach reporter Julianne McShane at (718) 260–2523 or by e-mail at jmcshane@schnepsmedia.com. Follow her on Twitter @juliannemcshane.
Updated 5:24 pm, May 15, 2019

Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Condolences to the family. But this one time a maniac on a bicycle almost whizzed by me and nearly almost hit me! A couple meters closer and I could have been scraped up pretty bad. That's months of pain and suffering until the scabs heal, If he would have hit me.
May 15, 6:19 pm
Alexis from Flatbush says:
Omg, Henry you are so lucky. I got hit by some random bike that kept going on Nostrand Avenue, spent days in the hospital and now owe almost $50k in medical bills, with no insurance. I’m currently unemployed, in debt up to my eyeballs and I can barely walk. Be careful out there.
May 15, 6:35 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Omg, Alexis you are so lucky that it was only a bicycle and not a dump truck. As you can see, that does not end well. If you're unemployed, you are eligible for free health care (thanks Obama). NY state of health: https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/
May 15, 6:54 pm
Alexis from Flatbush says:
Thank you for the info, Henry. The problem is I was working when I got hit and I couldn’t afford the premiums, so I was uninsured. I blew through my savings to keep a roof over my head, and now I’m flat broke through no fault of my own. There will be disability, free healthcare and possible victims compensation money going forward, but that doesn’t get me my life back.
May 15, 7:42 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Well it's your fault for dropping the insurance, if your story is real. You're lucky that it was only a bicycle and not a dump truck. As you can see, that does not end well.
May 15, 8:14 pm
Alexis from Flatbush says:
Yeah, it’s my fault for not being able to afford rent and insurance. You must be a rich white dude with that attitude.
May 15, 8:37 pm
Jim from Cobble Hill says:
This needs to stop. If drivers have not traffic lights, they just go down streets like they are extra highways.
May 15, 8:46 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Of course it's your fault. Who else would be at fault? Budget your money better. Maybe don't buy so much make up, shoes, or purses. Stop wasting money on instagrams and get insured. That's adult 101.
May 15, 8:48 pm
Alexis from Flatbush says:
You forgot #learntocode you inbred incel. Maybe if interlopers like yourself weren’t pricing the locals out, I’d be able to afford my rent. It’s a shame we can’t all be trust fund rich republican douchebags like yourself.
May 15, 9:17 pm
Alexis from Flatbush says:
I also love how this douche is mansplaining to me how it’s my fault I got hit by some idiot on a bike.
May 15, 9:25 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Maybe sell one of your cats, fatty.
May 15, 9:28 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
I said it's your fault for dropping insurance. I also said you're lucky it was only a bike and not a dump truck. Learn to read, w h o r e.
May 15, 9:29 pm
anon says:
Hello Brooklyn Paper: You promised to end the posting of comments. It was the best idea ever. Why haven't you done so?
May 15, 9:50 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Hey anon, if they discontinued comments then you wouldn't be able to whine. You're welcome!
May 15, 10:15 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
@ Alexis, I said it's your fault for dropping insurance. I also said you're lucky it was only a bike and not a dump truck. Learn to read, you fat hore.
May 15, 10:16 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
@ Alexis, I said it's your fault for dropping insurance. I also said you're lucky it was only a bike and not a dump truck. Learn to read, you Lena Dumbham.
May 16, 6:25 am
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
@ Alexis, I said it's your fault for dropping insurance. I also said you're lucky it was only a bike and not a dump truck. Learn to read, you cow.
May 16, 7:14 am
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
May 16, 8:56 am
Joe from bensonhurst says:
Hey hf you are a —— !
May 16, 10:40 am
Vision Zero from Zero Vision says:
Hey Joe from bensonhurst, you are 100% correct!
May 16, 11:19 am
JusticeForJay from BayRidge says:
They need to investigate why this deaf man was left alone when he was supposed to have an aide. either way R.I.P to this human being. A life taken is always sad for someone even with idiots in this world like HF!!
May 20, 8:51 am