►Video

See a hit-and-run driver sideswipe cyclist in Clinton Hill

Tight: A Clinton Hill cyclist with a camera caught the moment a driver knocked him off his bike before fleeing the scene on Vanderbilt Avenue on May 6.
Brooklyn Paper

A biker sustained injuries to his arm and leg after a driver struck him and fled the scene on Vanderbilt Avenue on May 6, according to authorities.

The driver drove up behind the victim on the two-way street and knocked him off his bike while trying to pass him, before taking off toward Willoughby Avenue just before 5:30 p.m., police said.

A video of the events surfaced on YouTube — seemingly by the victim — showing a first-person perspective of the incident.

The video’s description states the car was a silver Nissan Altima with an out-of-state license plate, which the a Twitter account with a similar user name ran through the violations bot How’s My Driving New York, revealing that the car has racked up some 35 tickets in 2018 and 2019 — all in Brooklyn — including five for speeding in a school zone and three for blowing a red light.

There are no arrests at this time and the investigation by the 88th Precinct is closed, a spokesman for the Police Department told this paper.

The spokesman could not clarify by press time why investigators closed the case without arrests.

Ten cyclists have already died at the hands of drivers in the city since the beginning of this year, with eight of the fatal collisions in Brooklyn and three of those in just the last four days.

Reach reporter Kevin Duggan at (718) 260–2511 or by e-mail at kduggan@cnglocal.com. Follow him on Twitter @kduggan16.
Updated 12:50 pm, May 16, 2019

Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Life in prison for the driver.
May 16, 2019, 12:13 pm
Silver Nissan Altima with PA plates: KPH5153. NYPD do your job
May 16, 2019, 12:19 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
This dirtball has 27 violations from 5•4•18 to 4•12•19, all in Brooklyn. Get this menace off the streets now! Life in prison for the driver.
May 16, 2019, 12:22 pm
Bartender from 2nd Chance saloon says:
??Damn Gersh you are drinking early today. And without me. For shame.??
May 16, 2019, 1:46 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
I got 2 buy backs already!
May 16, 2019, 2:18 pm
May 16, 2019, 2:23 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
I got 2 buy backs already! I have no idea what the bartender looks like though. I was too afraid to show up. I got 2 buy backs already! I have no idea what the bartender looks like though. I was too afraid to show up. I got 2 buy backs already! I have no idea what the bartender looks like though. I was too afraid to show up. I got 2 buy backs already! I have no idea what the bartender looks like though. I was too afraid to show up. I got 2 buy backs already! I have no idea what the bartender looks like though. I was too afraid to show up.
May 16, 2019, 2:24 pm
I need AA.
May 16, 2019, 2:27 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
That's a lot of tickets in Brooklyn for someone out of state. I think this driver might not be on the up and up. Life in prison sounds about right.
May 16, 2019, 3:03 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
I've already gotten 2 buy backs!
May 16, 2019, 3:47 pm
Joe from Bay Ridge says:
NYPD, useless as usual. Not only did the driver leave the scene of an accident but he should be charged with attempted manslaughter. If he claims he didn't notice hitting anyone, he should loose his license. VISION ZERO = Blindness
May 16, 2019, 4:10 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
I've already gotten 2 buy backs and pizzed myself!
May 16, 2019, 4:21 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
I've already gotten 2 buy backs!
May 16, 2019, 4:54 pm
sick above from comments says:
What a bunch of sick minded commenters above wanting to hurt a person operating a car in a lawful manner. The criminal here is NYC government for encouraging people to ride bikes in the street where it is far from any rational level of safety. 10 dead cyclists in four and one half months! Shame on NYC and all those self righteous people encouraging biking in the street - these and more unnecessary deaths are at your hands.
May 17, 2019, 11:14 am
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Don’t worry sick of, those comments above were made by a mental patient that is safely locked away in a facility.
May 17, 2019, 12:33 pm
Jeff from Brooklyn says:
Hey sick above, you are an idiot! First the driver was NOT driving the car in a lawful manner when he hit the bike rider. There is not reason at all why cars and bikes share the same streets. I have done both for over 50 years with no problems. Drivers and bikers must respect each other's space. Don't blame NYC government for people's recklessness!
May 20, 2019, 11:44 am
Frank Grassi from Dyker Heights says:
Puleeze!!! The idiot driving the car should know how to pass someone on a bike...BUT look at earlier parts of that video...The biker is riding on the middle yellow line, swerving in an out to avoid double parked cars and generally just gliding along with no regard for vehicles also trying to use roadways already congested with cars, pedestrians, scooters, roller skaters, baby strollers etc. etc. But are bikes licensed? Do their owners have to take tests, carry insurance or be ticketed by speed cameras...NO! DRIVERS are the ones the city expects to carry ALL THE RESPONSIBILITIES!! Bikes don't belong in congested areas...PERIOD!
May 20, 2019, 7:54 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Hey Frank GrASSi, You want some Kleenex for all those tears?
May 21, 2019, 10:15 am
Wilbur D. Horse from Mayberry says:
Frank Grassi makes a good point. Bikes do not pay 1 cent to maintain roads, yet they demand respects. It’s the Drivers’s summonses that pay for the bike lanes that are hardly used. The city can build all the “protected lanes” they wants, but we know that bikes will STILL run red lights and stop signs, singing to music on their earbuds! To get their attention, bikes must be forced to pass a license exam and a road test, pay a fee for a license plate, and also pay for insurance. And they must be summonsed for running red lights and wearing earbuds. The city has to stop treating cyclists like little babies, in a nanny state.
Aug. 17, 2019, 9:08 am