Protesters express outrage over Drag Queen Story Hour at Gerritsen Beach library

Brooklyn Paper

Photo gallery

1/8
Dragged: A woman protests the Drag Queen Story Hour in Gerritsen Beach on June 6.
2/8
3/8
Supportive: A woman and her daughter show their support at the Drag Queen Story Hour.
4/8
Amped up: A protestor speaks into a bullhorn outside the Drag Queen Story Hour event.
5/8
Good vibes: A woman appears in support of the event at the Gerritsen Beach library.
6/8
Picketed: Protestors gather outside the library to pretest the appearance of a Drag Queen.
7/8
Electric: Drag Queen Angel Electra reads to the children at a controversial appearance at the Gerritsen Beach library.
8/8

Protesters gathered in Gerritsen Beach on June 6 to express outrage over the appearance of a drag queen at a reading event for children, which they said would be detrimental to the welfare of minors.

“I was rather appalled by it simply because I really feel that it is not just a diversity issue but a morality issue,” said James Bickle. “It’s especially bad because it’s an indoctrination of little children.”

The event, which hosted Angel Elektra at the Gerritsen Beach library, was part of a citywide series to connect members of the LGBTQ community with New York City youth.

“Drag Queen Story Hour captures the imagination and play of the gender fluidity in childhood and gives kids glamorous, positive, and unabashedly queer role models,” read the event’s promotional material.

Bickle, who has lived in Sheepshead Bay for 23 years, said he wanted to discourage parents from bringing their children to the event.

“Parents should at least be confronted with the truth. They don’t know what they’re doing to these little kids,” he said. “It’s perverting them. It’s unnatural.”

Bickle, who repeatedly made clear that he would have no problem with an African-American story teller, said a queer narrator was simply a step too far.

“I would also have a problem if it were a gay person. And it’s not that I hate gay people. I actually have compassion for them, and I want to help them out this lifestyle,” he said. “I think its a choice.”

Counter-protesters also gathered outside the library, setting up a clash between the two factions.

One drag queen, who came out to support the event, said the protesters were less than unwilling to engage in a proper dialogue.

“The protesters were very difficult to reason with on any level,” said Barry D’Ellive “The self-appointed head of the group had a megaphone, and just put on a siren whenever he didn’t want to talk.”

For his part, the megaphone-wielding man claimed the drag queen supporters simply lacked open-mindedness.

“They were very vulgar, and they were nasty. They showed me very little tolerance, and very little love,” said the man who asked only to be identified as Tag.

Tag, an 11-year resident of Sheepshead Bay, took issue with the library’s tax-payer funding.

“At best, it’s irresponsible. At worst, it’s state-sponsored child abuse,” he said.

D’Ellive said the storytime event was perfect for combating the mindset of people like Tag’s.

“Drag queens have been almost inextricably linked to promiscuity and sexual misconduct, and something as mundane as storytime is going to help diminish that stigma,” said D’Ellive.

Through the commotion, NYPD officers cordoned off the entryway to the library, where the event went off as planned.

Reach reporter Aidan Graham at agraham@schnepsmedia.com or by calling (718) 260–4577. Follow him at twitter.com/aidangraham95.
Updated 9:08 am, June 7, 2019

Tim says:
Good is bad, bad is good.
June 6, 7:51 pm
Tim says:
Good is bad, bad is good.
June 6, 7:51 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Oh FFS! I bet none of these fatassed protesters ever set foot in this library. These christian terrorists need to mind their own GD business. If you're against abortion or gay marriage, DON'T get one!
June 6, 9:28 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Bob, any thoughts on this? This is your jurisdiction. We need your input, D-BAG.
June 6, 9:29 pm
Bob from Gerritsen Beach says:
Henry Ford it's about time you showed some wisdom and seek out someone with superior intellect to you. And my opinion on the subject. It's obvious James Bickle is an outsider with an agenda to cause trouble in a neighborhood with impeachable character and integrity. Sheepshead Bay, on the other hand, has a sub par library catering to subpar people. Whereas the library in the Beach caters to a higher character and people who understand and enjoys the fine arts.
June 6, 9:48 pm
Bob from Gerritsen Beach says:
Oh, Henry Ford to prove my point an unrelated story in Sheepshead Bay "Sheepshead Bay man pleads guilty to vehicular homicide while intoxicated". Proves my point my point a Gerritsen Beach resident would have never pleaded guilty to that charge.
June 6, 9:55 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
You had one job, Bob the D-BAG. Thanks for nothing, Bob the D-BAG.
June 6, 10:36 pm
K. from ArKady says:
Mr. Bickle accuses the library of "preventing" young children. Whatever is wrong with birth control, I ask?
June 6, 11:08 pm
Hughey long says:
I agree henry but leave leave the youth out of it.
June 6, 11:15 pm
Devotz says:
I don't agree with this library lecture but i wonder if any minorities live in gerritsen.
June 6, 11:24 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
A choice? Nobody who looks through the pictures in this article could come away thinking that gay is a choice. If you could choose to be gay, everyone would opt to look as gorgeous as Angel Elektra and no one would look like those bigots.
June 7, 1:51 am
Felicia from The Bronx says:
She’s just JEALOUS because the drag queen is sexier than her! Her booty is FLAT and it hangs. The drag queen is reading to her kids while stealing her man! She bringing sexy to the children’s liberry!
June 7, 3:33 am
Feminist from Park Slope says:
The hatred against women never ends! This library would rather hire a man dressed as a woman, than an actual woman herself! What is left for the female gender to do? Dress up as men and then pretend to be drag queens in order to get a job? is that our only option left??
June 7, 4:45 am
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
June 7, 6:10 am
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Oh FFS! I bet none of these morbidly obese protesters ever set foot in this library before. These christian terrorists need to mind their own GD business. If you're against abortion or gay marriage, DON'T get one! Of course there's an idiot with a red maga hat, classic.
June 7, 6:32 am
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
I bet none of these morbidly obese protesters ever set foot in this library before. These christian terrorists need to mind their own business. If you're against abortion or gay marriage, DON'T get one! Of course there's an idiot with a red maga hat, classic. They're such commies who want everyone to do as they say.
June 7, 6:50 am
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
I bet none of these protesters ever set foot in this library before. These christian terrorists need to mind their own business. If you're against abortion or gay marriage, DON'T get one! Of course there's an idiot with a red maga hat, classic. They're such commies who want everyone to do as they say.
June 7, 7 am
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Of course there's an idiot with a red maga hat, classic.
June 7, 7:43 am
Susan from Park Slope says:
Great piece! I drove to attend the counter-protest from Park Slope. I am 51 years old, straight, I have 4 kids.... and was completely unnerved that the bigots would hold there protest on the 75th anniversary of D-Day, a day when thousands of men died for our freedom. Don't like the story hour? Don't go! Leave those who attend to do so in peace.
June 7, 9:43 am
VagBuhtt Pooter from Park Slope says:
Thank you Susan ??. You have given me the courage to tell my truth. I too, am a drag queen! All I have wanted, my whole life, is to read books to children in Gerritsen Beach. It’s my identity, it’s my cultural, and it’s my god-given right! Especially on D-day! These people don’t understand how important it is for children to see adults wearing costumes! It teaches them about stuff!
June 7, 9:49 am
Susan from Park Slope says:
Sorry for the typo. *Their, not there
June 7, 9:51 am
VagBuhtt Pooter from Park Slope says:
I'm so immature that I have to make up lies to make fun of something I don't understand or like. Instead of minding my own business, I act like an idiot. Those children have better manners than me.
June 7, 10:02 am
K. from ArKady says:
Thank you, Aiden.
June 7, 10:37 am
Local from Here says:
Doesn’t everyone know that D Day was fought to give perverts their god given rights to molest your children?
June 7, 10:46 am
Mathematician from Brooklyn says:
BS. No one in Park Slope has 4 kids.
June 7, 11:11 am
K. from ArKady says:
So Mr. Bickle's complaint is an old one. For as far back as ancient Greece, Socrates was put to death for corruption of the youth with his libraries and his "bedsheets as acceptable outerwear" couture. Novel things, be they literate crossdressers or alien Greys ( and special shoutout to the boys at Raytheon, boffo electro-optical FLIR gear, guys!), can be frightening things. But fear not, Mr. Bickle. For God loves you, as He has made so many of you.
June 7, 11:28 am
VagBuhtt Pooter from Park Slope says:
June 7, 11:29 am
Local from Here says:
I was molested by my dad and brother.
June 7, 11:30 am
Local from Here says:
My priest and the whole precinct.
June 7, 11:36 am
Local from Here says:
My dad's and my brother's friends.
June 7, 11:37 am
Local from Here says:
The neighbors and his bowling team, during league night.
June 7, 11:37 am
Local from Here says:
My football coach and the assistant football coach.
June 7, 11:38 am
My doctor and dentist.
June 7, 11:39 am
Local from Here says:
My lyft driver and my uber driver.
June 7, 11:40 am
Local from Here says:
The stock boy and the bag boy at C Town.
June 7, 11:40 am
MS13 and Trinitarios.
June 7, 11:41 am
Local from Here says:
Inmates from central booking and Rikers.
June 7, 11:41 am
Local from Here says:
Look at poor vision zero projecting everything that’s happened to him in this thread. Get help dude
June 7, 1:11 pm
Local from Here says:
Look at me. I am a warrior and survived being molested my whole life. You wont bring me down, fake Local from Here poster.
June 7, 1:20 pm
Sara Lipton from Kensington says:
100 % Pure contrived politics and nothing more by everyone involved. No one here gives the least amount of concern for the children involved. How truly sad.
June 7, 4:28 pm
David Shapiro from Boro Park says:
"Tootsie" But Dustin Hoffman in Drag ,Transgender garb was funnier and better looking.
June 7, 4:32 pm
David Shapiro from Boro Park says:
I dress up in my wife's undergarments and parade around the house all the time, when she's out. She hasn't a clue and it's a blast! People need to lighten up.
June 7, 4:47 pm
David Shapiro from Boro Park says:
I'm wearing her giant b-plug right now.
June 7, 4:47 pm
Old skool says:
Aren't there laws against contributing to delinquency? Where has our country gone?
June 7, 5:22 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
I am a member of the ABCDEFGHJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ community.
June 7, 5:46 pm
Corruption says:
All the drag queens are personal friends of the mayor’s wife. They receive stipends of $5000 for reading children’s books! It’s just a way to kickback money to friends and acquaintances!!
June 7, 6:07 pm
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Boy, so many snowflake libtards are afraid of a few dudes in a dress. Grow up!
June 7, 6:52 pm
Old skool says:
I can't be near children sine I had to register as a level 5 sex offender.
June 7, 7:14 pm
Sparkle from Bay Ridge says:
I will scream invective st anyone who opposes drag queens who give book readings in libraries to little children. Until their ears bleed and then run from me with horrified looks on their faces. Or looks of disgust; I have seen both. The drag queens must have the right to read to little children, whether their parents like it or not. A sweaty, overweight man in a tight fitting dress is the perfect person to interact with children, and anyone who opposes this is hiding their bigotry behind common sense.
June 7, 7:44 pm
Old skool says:
Hey Sparkle, STFU! Nobody is being forced to take their kids to this. If you're ok with your kids going, then bring them. If not, don't bring them and have a big hot cup of STFU! Man you liberals want everyone to follow your religious beliefs, no matter how kooky they are.
June 7, 8:16 pm
Jim from Cobble Hill says:
Photos explain a lot ...lol Old People.
June 7, 9:37 pm
Sal Minella says:
Modern liberalism truly is a mental disorder. Unfortunately, the inmates are running the asylum.
June 8, 1:12 am
Meadowlark from Park Slope says:
These conservatives will just have to get with it. We plan to bring all sorts of alternative sexualities to read to the children - dominatrixes, gimps, furries, dirty sanchez, flo-bo sexuals, and doggy. The kids will love it.
June 8, 2:57 am
Celeste from Homecrest says:
My husband and I were proud to attend the counter protest in support of the Drag Queen Story Hour. What the haters don't take into account is that in that group of young children are some kids who are LGBT even if they don't know the words for it yet. The Drag Queen story hour lets these kids know they are not alone! To correct the dummies who think it's a "lifestyle," that train left the station years ago. People are born gay, bi, trans, or straight, and it's NOT a choice. Our son and his husband would have benefited from a story hour like this around 20 years ago. Kudos to the Brooklyn libraries for arranging the Drag Queen Story Hours. Don't like it? Don't bring your kids then.
June 8, 7:25 am
Local from Here says:
“Don’t want your kids getting molested by perverted freaks? Don’t bring them to the library then”.
June 8, 8:34 am
Old skoolLocal from Here says:
Because I hang out at that library and am a predator!
June 8, 8:48 am
Henry Ford from Bay Ridge says:
Don't take your children to this, they will be molested. Take them to church instead, because nobody was ever molested by a priest. LOL! ???
June 8, 10:23 am
Miss Vagina says:
I’m a drag queen and I was born this way!!!!!
June 8, 3:30 pm
Wanda Flynn from East Village says:
Will someone please explain what a drag queen is to me?
June 9, 7:44 am
YooSoStoopid says:
Will someone please explain what Google is to Wanda Flynn?
June 9, 8:05 am
Hmmm from Gerrits says:
I don’t see them protesting the Catholic Church. Go figure
June 9, 9:57 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
FYI, nobody is forcing anyone to attend that event. If you don't want your children to go to reading done by a drag queen, then simply don't. However, this doesn't mean that you have to deny others from going to that. For the record, there are plenty of events that I don't like, but you don't see me trying to get any of them cancelled or even denying others from going to them. Sometimes, those haters have to understand that respect is a two way street that go either way. Personally, I don't see any harm with a drag queen doing a reading at a library and sometimes it could have been because he was picked to do so hence no involvement with the LGBTQ movement.
June 9, 1:26 pm
The Wright Brothers says:
They should have to pass a background check.
June 9, 10:29 pm
The Wright Brothers says:
Priests should also have to pass a background check, with the rampant sexual abuse and coverups and all.
June 10, 7:19 am

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms: