Transit meltdown: Most numbered subway lines suspended amid heat wave

Service along the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 train lines suddenly collapsed during rush hour Friday evening, shutting down amid a state of emergency Mayor Bill de Blasio declared as a searing heat wave descended on the city.
Brooklyn Paper

Numbered subway lines are suffering shutdowns across the city amid a searing heat wave currently plaguing the Five Boroughs, and transit officials are advising straphangers on social media to use “lettered” lines.

The shutdown, which began affecting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 trains at shortly before 6 p.m., was caused by a network communications issue and brought tubes to a halt in both directions, according to a social media statement by the city transit company.

“[…] Our crews are working to address a network communications issue that is affecting service in both directions on our numbered subway lines,” read the statement by the New York City Transit Subway Twitter account. The shutdown, which began affecting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 trains at shortly before 6 p.m.,

The sudden breakdown created a near instant transit nightmare for commuters heading home as thermometers topped 103 degrees with humidity. Among them was former Brooklyn Paper intern Natallie Rocha, whose Flatbush Avenue-bound 5 train stalled just short of the Franklin Avenue stop at 5:58 p.m.

Rocha’s conductor initially blamed the unexpected delay on signal problems, but the train started moving about 10 minutes later, stopping with only the front car in the station, as the train operator directed passengers to move to the front of the train, Rocha said.

“They announced that the train would not be in service and all passengers needed to make their way to the front car,” she said. “I wasn’t sure if we would have to walk to the tunnels.”

Council Speaker Corey Johnson blasted the Metropolitan Transportation Authority for the sweeping shutdown, which occurred amid a state of emergency Mayor Bill de Blasio declared earlier in the day in response to the heat wave.

“I will be expecting a report from the MTA on how this happened during a heat wave when people are encouraged to use mass transit,” Johnson tweeted.

Comptroller Scott Stringer joined in to condemn the Authority, citing the shutdown as an example of a dysfunctional city.

“This is completely unacceptable MTA,” Stringer tweeted. “Service is suspended and platforms are boiling. New York cannot function like this.”

Frustrated straphangers vented on social media, excoriating the Transit Authority for the collapse at a time when city officials were urging New Yorkers to take mass transit in lieu of walking through the hot sun.

“I’m sorry, but this is bad. Like really, really bad,” wrote Andrew Henrquez on Twitter. “People need to be fired over this. How does something that completely shuts down the subway system like this happen? People need to be held accountable for grinding hundreds of thousands of people’s lives to a complete halt.”

As of 7:21 p.m., the Transit Authority had yet to give any updates confirming service had been restored, instead advising passengers to contact station agents for “courtesy passes” to busses or other trains within the transit system.

For service updates, follow @NYCTSubway on Twitter, or head to the Transit Authority’s website.

Updated 7:53 pm, July 19, 2019

ProspectHeightsResident from Prospect Heights says:
And they want even more of our money???
July 20, 2:25 am
Subway rider from Brooklyn says:
Is Scott Stringer going to show up again in SUV and have some report again about how awful train service is?
July 20, 7:13 am
The Hunkster from Bed-Stuy says:
Crumbling infrastructure, decades of political squabbling between the past and current NYC mayors and NYS governors, more debt? That's the MTA in a nutshell since its inception in 1969.
July 20, 9:45 am
Bob from Gerritsen Beach says:
The Hunkster from Bed-Stuy, of course you're right about the MTA. But there's so much more. After living here for many many decades and seeing a systematically decline in New York's city infrastructure and quality of life, it's impossible not to realize that it is the people we keep putting back in office are to blame. Of course the names change but the character and the dishonesty of these politicians stayed the same. Now they're saying at 91° the subway system becomes unmanageable? I guess they really think the people here are so gullible and they're probably right because we keep putting them back in office. With so little real news coming out of our newspapers and TV lately, I guess we're not totally to blame. Oh, just a sidenote. I remember when my my wife was pregnant with my first born we went across town to visit relatives in July with the outside temperature at 104° oh yes, we took the subway. Stay cool.
July 20, 10:41 am
SCR from Realityville says:
It would be worse than totally pathetic,if yesterday's MTA NYC-Subway"total communications failure,turnouts;to br deliberate-insiders sabotage. Yesterday's MTA,misfortune,follows,a"Subway Power Outage",several weeks ago. Ages old wisdom,usually assumes,that once;is an accident or mistake. Twice,within a short length of time,is suspicious. And,it's three strikes,and you're out. Stay tune.
July 20, 1:26 pm
Elizabeth from Cherokee Nation says:
This is the end result of socialism, every time. NYC is rapidly turning into Venezuela. It will only get worse until the sheeple wake up and realize they’ve been had.
July 20, 4:14 pm
Creepy Uncle Joe from Broke down Amtrak train says:
The subway is no worse than my beloved Amtrak. You people will get where you are going. Someday. Just relax and enjoy the 120° temperatures on the platform. The train will show up someday.
July 20, 4:17 pm
SCR from Realityville says:
"Creepy Joe whatever',I wouldn't ride on Amtrak,so called rail;if they paid me? When-I want to train travel,I ride the punctual trains(and often less expensive trains),in Europe. I've been to England,France,and Italy;within the last two-years. And,why the hell,would I even consider;traveling to Washington,DC.? When,I could fly to London,even Paris,for about the same,as Washington,DC? And,laugh,as I more intelligently,spend my money;elsewhere. Improve,our city's,our state's;and nation's infrastructure-or you lose. Whatever,countless business transactions,never were;because of delayed trains,busses-or automobile traffic. This obviously delays,all bussess,too.
July 20, 6:04 pm
Jay from Metrotech says:
$2.75 and no refund.
July 20, 7:24 pm
Bob from Gerritsen Beach says:
SCR from Realityville, you're absolutely right about those European trains. I have traveled on those trains in the mid-90s and I was blown away by the accuracy, cleanliness and affordability. In London you go into the underground in the heart of the city and you could take a train anywhere in the country and if you have to change they didn't charge an extra fare it was all transfers. So much for socialism. While I'm at as far as their socialized medicine is concern I spent five days in a hospital in Ireland and another eight days and a high-ranking Hospital in Manhattan and I'll take socialized medicine over the crap we get here any day. More nurses than you can shake a stick at and fantastic personal care. Oh, in 1995 the London underground were all equipped with countdown clocks. I don't know how many years they been functioning already but I know we didn't get up and running with them here for another 20 years.
July 20, 8:33 pm
The Hunkster from Bed-Stuy says:
Thanks for the compliment Bob. After all, the MTA was, is and will be the ultimate creature of NYS: A political Cthulhu of sorts.
July 21, 6:52 am
Filthy don j trump the racist POS scumbag from Queens says:
I don't care!
July 21, 8:13 am
K. from ArKady says:
It's remarkable how much late stage Capitalism resembles late stage Communism. Crumbling infrastructure, a population numbed on opiates and uneducated. Leadership that seeks it's own ends, manipulating the proles with cheap emotional propaganda to accept their sorry lot. After the fall of the Soviet Union, they all came here (Hi Igor!) Where do we all go when America falls?
July 21, 2 pm
Bill DeWall from USA says:
Oh no not you again. You’re actually describing the Democrats and not the current administration but you are too blind to see that. As for the infrastructure, we could fix everything if we weren’t being forced to pay for millions of illegals and welfare cheats. Throw free tuition into that and ‘reparations’ and there is your Soviet/Venezuela dream. Why don’t you go to Canada or Somalia and let the patriots rebuild what the Leftists have destroyed.
July 21, 2:30 pm
Ms. Me from Bay Ridge says:
Per WIKIPEDIA: The London Underground (also known simply as the Underground, or by its nickname the Tube) is a public rapid transit system serving London, England and some parts of the adjacent counties of Buckinghamshire, Essex and Hertfordshire in the United Kingdom.IN OTHER WORDS, the London subway services the city and some suburban areas. It does not take you all over the country.Bob's memory is playing tricks on him.
July 21, 2:41 pm
Ms. Me from Bay Ridge says:
The current single journey ticket adult fare on the (zoned)London subway ranges fron 4.90 pounds to 6.00 pounds, which translates to $6.13 to $7.50. Not cheap, but would certainly be a bargain to travel all over England! Regulars apparently use the "oyster" card, making the price range 2.40 to 5.10 pounds ($3.00 to $6.38.)
July 21, 2:58 pm
Bob from Gerritsen Beach says:
Thanks for the up date "Me" but if you review my comment I said I was there in the mid-90s, 1993 to be exact so giving me 2019 London fares wouldn't be a good comparison, would it? As I said I took the train from downtown London and traveled out of the city to a number of other cities like Bath, Oxford and a few others I don't recall at the moment. Grant you it's not all over England but then again if I wanted to take a 30 mile trip from Marine Park to Cranford New Jersey I would need to take the subway into Manhattan, pay a new fair and take the train into jersey and then another fair and take a train to Cranford. Get the picture Me? In addition to countdown clocks they also used what we would call Metro passes and I bought a weekly pass that significantly reduced the actual single fare. Yes Metro passes and countdown clocks years ahead of this capitalistic society.
July 21, 5:11 pm
Tyler from pps says:
SCR -- Where did you learn how commas and semicolons work?
July 22, 10:38 am
Ms. Me from Bay Ridge says:
a) Compare to current subway fares. b)Googled London to Bath = 2 hours, 12 pounds Googled London to Oxford = 1 hour, 23 dollars cheapest fare. Those were commuter trains you took, not the subway. c)read the UK Daily Mail and you will find plenty of problems and complaints with both the London transit system and especially the National Health Service.Everyplace seems nice when you are there on vacation.
July 22, 12:58 pm
Ms. Me from Bay Ridge says:
UK Daily Mail today: Heat wave in England, no A/C on subway or buses. Commuter rails buckling lengthwise because they welded the joints in recent years to make them quieter (previously had expansion joints.)
July 24, 6:16 am