Sections

City unveils anti-terrorism barriers for Coney boardwalk

Parks officials revealed their plans to place retractable bollards along every pedestrian entrance to Coney Island’s Riegelmann Boardwalk, preventing cars from driving onto the walkway.
Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

The city is spending $3.2 million to install barriers along the Coney Island boardwalk to protect the People’s Playground from a terrorist attack!

“The goal of the project is to limit the vulnerabilities to vehicular terrorism,” said Parks Department rep Abigail Chatfield.

The project — which is a coordinated effort between Park honchos and the Police Department’s Counterterrorism Division — calls for the installation of bollards and gates along the boardwalk’s entrances in an effort to prevent terrorists rolling through with their four-wheeled killing machines.

Councilmen Mark Treyger and Chaim Deutsch proposed the security enhancements following a terrorist attack along the West Side Highway in Manhattan on Halloween 2017, when a truck driver ran over eight pedestrians beside the roadway along the Hudson River Greenway.

“As we’ve sadly seen — both in our own city and on an international level — vehicles are increasingly being used in high-pedestrian-traffic areas as weapons to attack the public,” Councilman Mark Treyger (D—Coney Island) said at the time.

And if a terrorist did strike, it wouldn’t be the first time Coney Island had been targeted by wackos — police cuffed three self-proclaimed jihadists in 2015, after the stooges declared their allegiance to ISIS and plotted to bomb an unspecified target in the neighborhood.

The 150-pound black metal bollards will be just over three-feet high and spaced four-feet apart along the outer edge of the boardwalk, while vehicle entrances will feature five-foot high swing gates — which will be wide enough to allow for wheelchair access, according to authorities.

A Parks Department rep first claimed that the bollards would be retractable, allowing authorities to remove the 150-pound barriers for major events — but a Parks Department spokesman later claimed that they will be unable to move.

The new protective measures won’t be constructed until 2021, and officials are still finalizing their exact locations as they study the effects they would have on emergency vehicles and boardwalk-based merchants.

Many residents have long pushed for the anti-car measures — albeit, to deter police officers and Parks Department officials from damaging the boardwalk’s planks with city vehicles.

“The damage being done by the heavy vehicles in use on our scenic landmark by the Park’s Department and NYPD is clearly and abundantly evident when you walk on the wooden Riegelmann Boardwalk,” Orlando Mendez wrote in a Facebook group dedicated to improving the boardwalk.

The local Community Board’s Parks Committee voted in favor of the scheme’s preliminary designs, but final designs won’t be completed until Spring 2020, according to department reps.

Correction: This story has been updated to reflect the correct price of the barriers. They will cost $3.2 million, according to the Parks Department.

Reach reporter Rose Adams at radams@schnepsmedia.com or by calling (718) 260–8306. Follow her on Twitter @rose_n_adams
Updated 1:15 pm, November 6, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Helen Woombles from Park Slope says:
I can’t help but feel that these anti-terrorism barriers are just islamophibic.
Nov. 6, 2019, 4:03 am
American says:
Stand strong against terrorism! Anti-terorrism Strong!
Nov. 6, 2019, 4:55 am
Jerry from Coney Island says:
What a waste of money! That could have gone to actually repairing the boardwalk. The probability of getting a splinter on the boardwalk is close to 100% but the probability of a terrorist attack is smaller than Deutsch and Treyger's brains!
Nov. 6, 2019, 12:23 pm
Tyler from pps says:
Does every city project cost $3 million? Is this some magic number for the Parks Department? Also... THREE MILLION DOLLARS?
Nov. 6, 2019, 5:24 pm
Brian from West Brighton/ Coney says:
Much, much nicer than the NYPD branded ones! Looks more like Manhattan- so I think this looks like it will be done very fairly! Next is the guardrails along the Belt Pkwy in Bath Beach!
Nov. 6, 2019, 11:45 pm

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: